Breaking news :The new head coach of the Broncos…. Read more
Breaking news :The new head coach of the Broncos…. Read more .Broncos aren’t in the market for a new quarterback, according to Vance Joseph.
Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph has had the job for less than two months, but he’s already seen enough to be confident that the team doesn’t need to hunt for a new starting quarterback.
At the NFL combine on Wednesday morning, Joseph told reporters that he’s confident in the future of the position in Denver with Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch under center.
“We’ve got two young guys that played last year and won nine games last year combined, and probably should have won more,” Joseph said. “So moving forward, we’re satisfied there with those two kids.”
Siemian started 14 games for the Broncos and finished with 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, but played some of the year with a shoulder injury that Joseph described as “horrific” and likely would’ve sidelined most. In the two games Siemian sat, Lynch — a 2016 first-round pick — started and finished with two touchdowns and one interception.
“The team won nine games and the perception was the offense wasn’t very good, but in my opinion the offense was pretty good,” Joseph said. “They didn’t finish well in the red zone, but the quarterbacks played well. Winning nine games is a nice feat in the league and they should have probably won two more games. Offensively I think we’re close. Not as far as everyone thinks we are. Offensive line needs some help there, but we’re close offensively.”
Denver general manager John Elway was seemingly a lot more open to the idea of adding another player to compete with Siemian and Lynch.
The Broncos offense finished No. 27 in the NFL in total yards and No. 22 in points scored. Joseph said Siemian and Lynch will have an open competition for the starting role in 2017.